Pages

Sunday, December 26, 2010

Boxing Day 2010

Today I had 5 people over for dinner, including two confirmed meat eaters and a pisco-vegetarian. I have a freezer-drawer full of beef from highland cattle that graze wild in Dutch nature reserves (ordered from Stichting Taurus) so that determined the meat side of the menu.

Hors d'oevres

Starter

Main

Sides

Dessert
  • Blueberry Cobbler
The mackerel rillettes, which I made with wasabi instead of horseradish, proved surprisingly popular, and baba ganoujh (Jane Brody's recipe) always goes down a treat. 

I had planned to serve mashed potatoes but forgot to cook them, so I served some bread instead. Both the salmon and the beef pot pie were delicious, although I think the pastry might have been too rich and buttery. I had made the beef stew on Christmas eve and cooked it for another hour today before putting te crust on top. I think the extra wait time did wonderful things for the flavour.

This is the first meal I've ever served in which there were absolutely no leftovers. I rather regret that, I would have liked some leftover beef! I will definitely make the beef again just as a stew. 

Unfortunately, the only pictures are of the braised leeks, which even non leek lovers liked.



No comments:

Post a Comment